Today’s 485km ride home can best be summed up in just a few phrases:
- 6.5 long and often scary hours
- potholes so large they could swallow a small truck
- puddles so deep I needed scuba diving gear to ride through them
- visibility so low I often couldn’t see the cars in front of me or the lines on the road
- rain so heavy it managed to penetrate my raincoat, winter jacket, fleece vest and t-shirt.
Yes, some will say I should have stopped but that’s not my style. The downpour continued through last night and sometimes here in Queensland downpours like that continue for days. I’ve learned to ride through heavy rain and to manage my risks so that’s what I did. And besides, a bit of fear is good sometimes.
I made it home safely and am ready to get back into training.