After four months away from racing, I am excited to say that I have just entered a swag of events for the first few months of 2013. Here’s how it’s going to look:
- 1 January 2013 -I have signed up for the Eleven out of 11 Audax Australia cycle. This 100km cycling event will take me across the eleven bridges that cyclists may use to cross the Brisbane River. It’s a non-competitive event, with the goal being to complete the 100km within the 6:30 allowable time limit. I am looking forward to this event to test out my fitness after a lengthy period off the bike. Given This event sets my intention for the year.
- 12 January 2013 -I am riding the 200km Moonlight Wander, a night-time Audax Australia cycle. It will be my first overnight cycling event and my first 200km event also. The time limit is 11:30, so I should have no trouble finishing if all goes well.
- 3 February 2013 – I am riding the 100km Brisk Beaudesert Audax Australia cycle. This scenic course will include some hills. While there are longer options for this ride, I don’t want to overdo things by going too hard too early.
- 8 February 2013 – My partner and I have formed team We’re Lost to participate in the City Raid night-time urban scavenger hunt. I am thrilled to bits that my partner is joining me on this adventure because it will be her first adventure racing experience. She’s been working hard the past four months to improve her fitness and change her lifestyle from being someone who didn’t do any exercise to someone who walks 4km every day and does weights at the gym 3-4 days a week. I’m so incredibly inspired by her efforts.
- 16 February 2013 – My sister and I have reformed as adventure racing duo Whoops Witch Way to participate in the Kayak Kapers four hour paddlegaine. We will be hoping to gain bonus points for wearing the optional pirate costumes despite our team mascot actually being a witch (don’t ask because we don’t know the answer to the witch thing either). This will be our first paddlegaine so we are sure there will be plenty of laughter and maybe a little swimming.
- 24 February 2013 – I will be teaming up with a friend from running as We Must Be Nuts in Race 6 of the Qld Tri Series. I have the easy leg, being the swimmer while my friend tackles the bike and run in her first every triathlon.
- 9 March 2013 – Whoops Witch Way will be lining up at the Kathmandu Adventure Race where we will be paddling, mountain biking, trekking and navigating our way around a six-hour course. This will be our first adventure race since Adventure Race Australia in May 2012 and what will hopefully be the first of many for the 2013 adventure racing season.
- 24 March 2013 – Whoops Witch Way don’t bask in our glory. No, we go straight back out there and race. So we’re backing up a few weeks after Kathmandu with the iAdventure Spring Adventure Race. This is another six-hour adventure race format including biking, trekking, kayaking and navigating.
Nope, I don’t do things by halves and yes, I am a bit crazy. But after a year of solo competition in triathlon and running, and then a four month recovery from injury, I am looking forward to focusing on team and Audax events in 2013. It’s going to add a whole new level of fun.
See my Upcoming Events and Travel page for a full list of the events I currently have planned for 2013.